Tuesday, April 15, 2008

...and now it's a dress

Lately I have been visiting loads of craft blogs and sometimes a project will hit me like a wildfire...I must make it NOW! This was certainly one of those projects. I dug around in my poor husbands closet while talking to him at work...

How about this shirt?
No, well, what about this one?

He finally decided he hadn't worn this shirt in 4 years, so it was probably safe to cut it up.

I worked feverishly for a few hours and finally came up with what I thought was a great "first" time effort at making a dress out of a man's shirt for Abagail. She was quite the little helper while I was sewing it, asking sweet little questions.

Mommy, that for me?

Mommy, that Daddy shirt?

Mommy, that Abby dress now?

She even was such a doll and took off her clothes repeatedly so she could try it on for fitting. Always making sure I knew it had pins. "Be careful, Mommy, pins hurt!" When I finished she put in on (with a little battle) and wore it the rest of the day. She wouldn't pose for pictures (little turkey), but I managed to snap some horrible ones, just so you could see how cute it turned out.

She wasn't really sure about it until Daddy came home and kept telling her, "Abby, give Daddy back his shirt. That's my shirt!"

She would laugh wildly and say..."Nope, it mine now!"

I am hoping that the pocket shadow will wash out a little and not be as noticeable. I have plans to make some more, but must go shopping at the thrift store for some fun ones. I was thinking of Hawaiian shirts or solid shirts with appliqué, none of which my husband has or is willing to part with.

While I am off shopping at the thrift stores, I am hoping to find some great wool sweaters to felt and make into bags. Maybe snag a few tablecloths at a good price to make some skirts.

Who knows?!?!

This new idea (new to me at least) of reconstructing things for a new use is a blast. I see lots of it in my future...

1 comment:

Mrs. Bianca said...

Great recon!!!